Sunday, March 16, 2008

MB Ownership and MBCP Membership: An Affirmation of Values by Kuya Id

A Mercedes Benz espouses industry. Not only the industry of magnates and tycoons, but also the value and dignity of labor. For the past 20 years I have seen the same individual driven to the office in an aging but dignifiedly kept 114. Same time everyday. I do not know if he has any other vehicles in his garage, but I do know that his work ethic is as reliable and inviolate as his Benz. And given the opportunity to do business with him, I know I can count on his word. Which makes for a funny and ironic contrast considering that MBs are usually portrayed as "bad guy" cars in movies.
A Mercedes Benz is quality. It instills the value for quality in its products, a value that all enthusiasts can identify with, a value that transcends the physical aspect of the vehicle, permeating all aspects of the life of the enthusiast, from their work to their homes. MB owners are on a relentless pursuit for perfection and quality in all aspects of their lives, with the very embodiment of that pursuit found in the MBs parked in their garages.
A Mercedes Benz defines tradition. Some of us are enthusiasts by accident, some of us by choice. Some of us are fortunate enough to have a Benz tradition in our households. There are baby pics of us in our parents and grandparents' MBs, pics of MBs in the family, and eventually these cars transcend their primary purpose as transportation and become members of the family, often being passed on as treasured heirlooms from one generation to the next. The MB thread is often weaved into the fabric of the true enthusiasts' life. Oftentimes the first Benz in a family will not be the last, and sometimes it won't be the only one. And oftentimes enthusiasts will seek out the MBs of their childhood, trying to relive that moment, riding in the car with dad or lolo with nary a care in the world.
Above all, a Mercedes Benz evokes passion. A Mercedes Benz is an emotional purchase, yet with the ironic concurrence of the mind. Never irrational, yet beyond elucidation. Felt but beyond articulation. This passion, coupled with the pursuit of quality and excellence, is what defines the Mercedes Benz tradition and the resultant prestige. A Mercedes Benz tells the world "I have history." This passion is what leads some people to keep their MBs for their entire lives. This passion is what makes owners drive their MBs coast to coast...wanderlust and a Mercedes, what could be better? This passion is what makes people spend inordinate amounts of time and effort in restoring old neglected vehicles to their former glory.
And this passion is what makes the MBCP. Owning an MB and membership in the MBCP has affirmed my value set, further validating my beliefs that there are still individuals out there who still believe in integrity, who value the dignity of labor, and who profess a sincere concern for their fellowmen, no matter how trivial the need. Be it a sincere invitation, an encouraging word, a kind thought, a phone call to help fulfill a fellow member's dreams, I feel this is the home of kindred spirits, indeed. It does not matter that I have not met any of the members in person, what matters is that their response has been extremely heartening and I hope to be able to pay it forward.
I take pride in being a member, honored that I was invited, glad that I was welcomed, and relieved that the atmosphere was bereft of the mindless politicking, arrogant personalities and character clashes so prevalent in other clubs. It's quite amusing to think that THE Mercedes Benz Club of the Philippines is not populated by snooty snobs and insignificant poseurs bent on asserting their importance.
I remember my first email to sir Johan, when I was asking for help regarding the restoration of my first 108. I remember his encouraging words and the list of links he sent me to peruse. I remember sir Ricoled and our pursuit of the C124; sir Joel and his patience, listening to me rant about losing the bid on the 300CE-24 Sportline; I remember sir Bob and the numerous MB and non-MB advice and the help he so kindly gave me. These might be trivial things for you in the day-to-day, but in the big picture these can only serve to affirm one's belief that indeed class comes not only from their Marque of choice, but more importantly from their very person. Their vehicle of choice only serves to reflect that element of class in their character. As members, whatever we do will have an impact on the club. A kind word to a newbie asking for advice, an encouraging word when a fellow member gets into trouble, a hand to help push a stalled vehicle, a reply to a post for help, these are little things that make a difference. It sure made a difference to THIS newbie.
Sorry for the long rant...I just had a little time for introspection, and I realized that I was part of a club where the borders of status and station in life were removed, and replaced by our common passion for the three pointed star. Cause for introspection was because somebody asked me, "bakit mayayabang ang mga naka Benz?" I guess those who are probably owned their MBs for the wrong reason. :-)

No comments: